Psalm 127:3

Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him. (NLT)

July 03, 2010

What are the procedures in event of an accident in PHS?

I had posted on the PSG Blog about an accident involving my son, Ian during a NCC camp in 2009.

Ian was trying to cut open a can of food, using a jack knife and sustained a very deep cut, that went through his left thumb arteries. A kind NPCC Sir, Mr Tan, drove my son around the neighbourhood to find a doctor to treat his cut. But we were not able to find one as it was between 4pm to 5pm and most of the clinics were closed. Mr Tan drove my son to a Chinese Physician who advised to send my son to a hospital instead. My son was then sent to Mount Alvernia Hospital (a private hospital) which had no surgeon for immediate hand surgery, though the doctor did the basic treatment there. My son was consequently referred to SGH.

Mr Tan was very kind to send us all the way to SGH and volunteered to stay with us. While driving us in his car, Mr Tan encouraged Ian not to give up on NCC because of this accident and also told me that I could make an accident claim through the school.

Thankfully, the cut was not life threatening though his thumb required an immediate surgery that night in SGH.
 
I have some questions:
 
1. Does PHS have any procedure(s) in the event of an accident in PHS, eg.
  • when, which hospital, or whether to call an ambulance to send a child to hospital, when an accident occurs.

2. Advice to be given to parent on how to make a claim from the student's accident plan purchased by the school.
  • Why is it that the parent has to file the claim directly with the insurer instead of going through the school?
  • Why is it that the accident report not given to the parent immediately for claiming purposes?

3. Is the Principal and form teacher informed of the child's accident?

I was not told how to go about claiming with the insurer and no accident report was given to me immediately for the claims until Mr Winston Thio from the General Office helped me throughout on the last 2 days before the due date of the claim submission. Mr Thio was indeed very helpful.
 
Lastly, I was surprised to learn that the Principal and Ian's form teacher were not even told about the accident.
 
Thus, we, as parents, would like to know what are the steps that the school take when an accident happens to a child in school.  My son's accident was handled without any procedures.
 
Agnes Marilyn Leong

1 comment:

  1. In the event of injuries, due to sports, for example, is there a teacher who is trained in first-aid? Better still, are teachers trained in basic first-aid? It is always better to be prepared to know how to do mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, bandage etc.

    ReplyDelete