Psalm 127:3

Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him. (NLT)

December 30, 2008

DINE IN THE DARK - A real-life experience

Mrs. Jacinta Michael contributed to the following article, depicting her real-life experience of "Dining In the Dark" at the Singapore Association of the Visually Handicapped (47 Toa Payoh Rise).


It was totally DARK. We could not see anything. Yet, by the grace of God, I managed to feel my way and eat my food, keep my plate and table area clean. I did not spill a drop of water or orange juice. I learned to "try and be neat" at the table, finding my way for the items of food on my plate, including a packet of tomato sauce, which I had to tear open! We were not told what we were having for lunch; we just had to taste it for ourselves.

Lessons learned - the blind need us to communicate with them - talk and lead them. The next time I meet with my aunt, I know that I will have to take her hand and tell her what it is she is eating or drinking. I also learned that when a blind person dreams, he/she hears our voices!

While dining, suddenly had the thought that the blind are blind and in darkness on earth, here and now... yet, the Bible speaks of an "outer darkness"....the thought gave me a deeper awareness that there will be a "reversal" in eternity. As we take care of our natural eyesight, let's strive to be careful of our spiritual “eyes”.

No comments:

Post a Comment